Are you one of those chili lovers who doesn’t even blink when eating a chili? If so, I’m sure you have a favorite canned chili somewhere in your pantry. Chili is a warm-up food for many. I remember my grandma used to prepare hot chili sauce during winter to spice up a freezing day.
It was more on homemade chili long time ago. However, due to its popularity, there are plenty of chili products sold in cans in the market nowadays. For all who loves hot food all the time, canned chili is practical for you.
What is the Best Canned Chili that suits your taste?
Top Picks of 2021
The canned chili products in the top list are winners based on customer reviews, actual sales, and some personal testimonies. I came up with the best canned chili to help you choose the right kind. The products are made by trusted manufacturers and gained the most positive reviews based on quality and cost.
1# Hormel Less Salt Chili with Beans: My Choice for a Quick Breakfast
If you like your canned chili with beans, then this is your pick. Although some express their disagreement with beans mixed with chili, there’s no denying that this combination tastes superb. Hormel made this mixture with 25% less sodium compared to regular canned chili without beans.
It has rich flavors of tender beef, tomato paste, and spices for the genuine chili taste. As a perfect source of protein (16 grams), this product is excellent for chili sliders, bowls, and dips. Besides, there are no artificial ingredient, no preservatives added in the blend, and can coating do not contain BPA.
This is the best alternative when you don’t have time to make chili sauce from scratch. For those that are always on the go, a quick and easy meal preparation is convenient.
Check out the ingredients:
1. Water2. Beef3. Beans4. Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes5. Corn Flour6. Chili Powder and Peppers7. Salt8. Modified Cornstarch9. Sugar 10. Spices/onions11. Green Chili, Jalapeno peppers
2# Wolf Brand Chili No Beans: My Choice for Recipes That Calls for Spicy Sauce
The wolf brand made this “no beans” chili for those who want it simple like the old times. If you have problems with consuming beans, this product is your choice. This is also perfect to blend in with other ingredients that you have in mind.
Do you know what this canned chili is best for? It’s an excellent sauce for breakfast Mexican recipe Chilaquiles. This is a bit higher in price than other kinds but it’s worth it.
Take note though that this also contains soy. If you can’t tolerate soy, this is not recommendable for you.
1. Beef and pork2. Water3. Tomato puree4. Rolled oats5. Textured vegetable protein6. Chili pepper2% of salt, sugar, spices, garlic powder, soy, caramel color, and sodium
3# Amy’s Kitchen Organic Spicy Chili: My Choice for the Best Organic Chili
This spicy Mexican organic chili with medium beans and vegetables makes the canned chili a favorite pick for those who love strong taste of spice blended with sweetness. A 590 g can of chili contains 25% sodium, 30% of vitamin A and 15% of vitamin C, 4% calcium and 10% of iron.
The product does not use eggs, fish, and peanuts. Hence, it does not impose a high risk for allergy-prone consumers. It’s guaranteed that Amy’s Kitchen ingredients are grown without the use of harmful chemicals and GMO’s.
Being a good source of protein and fiber, this canned chili that is not too hot and spicy tastes best with rice and meat. Not bad for a family business that promotes organic and healthy food. A shout out to all vegans out there, this canned chili is for you!
1. Red Beans2. Filtered Water3. Onions4. Tofu5. Bell Peppers6. Rice Flour7. High Oleic Safflower8. Sunflower Oil9. Jalapeno Peppers10. Spices11. Garlic12. Sea salt
4# Skyline Original Chili Recipe: My Choice To Mix With My Pasta
I’ll let you be the judge of this one. I trust that you love the traditional taste of chili sauce which contains carefully picked ingredients. It’s neither salty nor bland for my taste, but it sure has a thick and spicy tang on it.
I invented my own “Chili spaghetti” with this canned chili and found out that sprinkling parmesan or cheddar on top of the pasta makes the taste incredible and amazing.
I tell you, it’s perfect for your tortilla dips shared with everyone after the party. In each can, it’s packed with a bit of calcium, iron, Vitamin A and C, protein, and sodium.
However, considering the reasonable price and the superb taste, I opt to choose this whenever I run out of my favorite chili blend. I recommend that you stock this in your pantry since it comes in handy for quick bites.
1. Beef2. Water3. Tomato sauce (water, tomato paste, dehydrated onion, garlic, paprika, and natural flavors)
5# Nalley Chili Con Carne with Beans: My Choice When I Crave for Home Cooking
Honestly, I grab this one first when I do the grocery. I love the taste of the well-cooked beans, tender and soft along with its chili sauce. A can of this chili offers high fiber with a minimum fat level in every serving. Not bad for health-conscious chili fanatics.
Do you know why I stick to this product? It reminds me of the homemade taste of my grandma’s chili with beans. Yeah, it’s not just the nutrition, but the familiar flavor of it as well. Let me share with you a secret; Add a bit of your favorite Tabasco, and it will give you the kicks!
1. Water2. Beef3. Beans4. Tomato Paste5. Salt Spices6. Wheat Flour7. Malted Barley8. Soy protein/Soy/Wheat9. Sugar10. Paprika11. Flavorings
Buying Guide: Best Canned Chili
Choosing your canned chili is not that difficult at all. If you are that curious and determined to start eating spicy recipes, you need to know what to consider when buying one. Here are some facts you need to know when picking the right one for you.
Types of Canned Chili
For variations, there are different types of canned chili that you can choose from in the supermarket. Depending on how you like your food to be, one of these types if not all could land as a regular in your kitchen.
Chili con carne
The traditional spicy stew never fades when it comes to taste. This classic spicy sauce consists of chili peppers, tomatoes, beans, and meat. You may find that the usual seasoning for this blend is onions, garlic, and cumin.
Because of the diverse cooking culture each cumin country has, using chili con carne may be a basic dish for one or merely an ingredient for some. The seasonings may also change depending on the different taste preference. However, no matter what, using canned chili saves up time in preparing meals.
This canned green chili could be super spicy or mild sauce or stew. It contains roasted green chili, tomatillos, garlic, and bits of cooked pork in chicken soup. You may find some products with tomatoes, but mostly it does not have. If you are fond of burritos, then you have been eating Chili Verde all the while.
Are you surprised to know about white chili? It’s just called white chili because the dish color turns out white after cooking. Canned white chili contains bits of roasted chicken breasts or turkey meat, white beans and cream sauce instead of beef and tomato sauce.
If you have problems of hyperacidity or cannot tolerate spiciness, and you want your chili dish to be mild, choose this type of canned chili.
Vegetable mix with the chili
I like the idea of mixing other vegetables inside the canned chili. It makes the blend more flavorful and healthy. Check the labels of the can and choose those that have the vegetables that you like. Some likes it to be pure chili, but others also love the chili-veggie mixture. Therefore, manufacturers made a variety of it particularly beans and tomato to suit the taste of consumers.
Meat-based and Vegetarian Chili
Vegetarians out there must be happy to know that there are products that don’t have meat and contains purely chili and vegetables. Because of some meat substitutes (beets, squash, mushrooms), it simply tastes like real meat.
For meat lovers like me, plenty of canned chili with meat is available that you can buy. You can choose between beef, pork, chicken, or turkey. You can choose between cubed or ground, chunky, creamy, and tender type of meats. I know that many differ in preference so you can mix your own seasonings, vegetables, and kind of meat in accordance to your liking.
What is your tolerance when it comes to spicy food? Do you know that it’s even a challenge nowadays? Check the label of the canned chili, and you’ll see that the level of spiciness is indicated. Choose whether you like medium, medium-hot, hot, and super hot.
The spiciness of the canned chili is dependent on the kind of chili used to make it. Some like it mild, but for the extremes, they want it super spicy.
Every brand has their own signature blend. Therefore, the thickness may differ. This is helpful when you want to cook several recipes that require different thickness. I commonly use the beef patty, tomato paste, and stew-like thickness.
What can I say? The top five on my list are the best canned chili for me. I already noted the reasons above why each of them is the best for me. Remember, for the categories that I indicated, they are the best than the other products on the market.
When I feel homesick, I grab the Nalley Chili. Skyline chili is perfect for my spaghetti, and if I’m motivated to eat healthily, Amy’s organic suits best. For the adventurous me, it’s a challenge to eat Wolf’s spicy chili with friends and bring along Hormel’s Chili for a quick breakfast at work.
See? They all are the best! What’s about you? What is your best pick?
See also :
Best Oyster Sauce: Top 10 of the Finest Brands
Best Canned Sardines that are Too Good not to Try
What Chili Paste Substitute that is Easy to Find?
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- High in protein
- The package length of the product is 6 inches
- The package width of the product is 5 inches
- The package height of the product is 4 inches
- 16 grams of protein per serving
- 100% Natural; no artificial ingredients, Minimally processed
- Easy pull top
- Perfect for bowls, dips, dogs, and appetizers
- Two-bean beef tomato chili
- A hearty chili loaded with beans, seasoned beef and pork and red and green peppers
- 14 grams of protein per serving
- Perfect to grab when you're hungry and crunched for time
- Count on big pieces in every bite
- Dig in as is or kick things up a notch by pouring over rice
- Contains one 15-ounce can of WOLF BRAND Chili made with Angus Beef and Beans
- Made with hearty chunks of 100% Angus beef, pinto beans and premium seasonings
- Easily prepare on the stove or in the microwave for a quick, satisfying meal
- Texas-inspired canned chili for a hearty weeknight meal
- Enjoy WOLF BRAND Chili for a bold, thick, hearty chili
- OH MY DANG! This is good chili-man: Anyone can throw onions, garlic, spices and red beans into a pot and hope for the best. Some actually do. That’s not us. Our 2-time award-winning chili recipe is fork’n tasty.
- 25% LESS FAT: In this chili recipe we use lean meat with makes this chili have 25% less fat than our traditional recipe
- 2-TIME AWARD WINNING: 1973 International Championship in Terlingua, TX + 1975 World Championship in Tropico, CA.
- A LEGECY RECIPE: Joseph (Joe) DeFrates, Illinois’ only world champion of chili, is the creator of canned Chilli Man Chili.
- PACK OF 12 CANS: Product ships as a 12 pack of 15 ounce (non-BPA) recyclable cans of Chilli Man Chili. The cans are shrink-wrapped and secured in a corrugate tray and all have the same expiration date.
- Mild chiles
- Fire roasted
- Recipe included
- 1 27-ounce can